Welcome to the Department of Physics at VVCE, Mysuru. The Department of Physics was established in the year 1997. The Department of Physics not only offers the students to explore fundamental physics but also promote applied & interdisciplinary research. The Department is working hard towards providing innovative and quality education through its dedicated and experienced teaching faculty members. The research work of the Department is contributing strongly across disciplines that include Material Science, Semi-Conductor devices, Reliability Studies, Cryogenic Properties, Nano-Materials, Crystallography, Polymers etc.
Engineering Physics shall provide basic fundamentals and strengthen individual’s contribution to the technological development in Engineering program
Engineering Physics (18PHY12/22)
At the end of the course pupil will be able to
CO 1: Understand Simple Harmonic oscillation and to classify waves based on Mach number
CO 2: Understand Elastic properties of materials and their applications
CO 3: Infer the relation between time varying electric and magnetic field, the transverse nature of the EM waves and their role in Optical fiber communication
CO 4: Compare between classical and Quantum Mechanics and to understand working of Laser
CO 5: Analyze physics of materials
Engineering Physics Lab (18PHYL16/26)
At the end of this course the pupil will be able to,
CO 1: Apprehend the concepts of interference and diffraction of light.
CO 2: Understand the principles of operations of optical fibers and semiconductor devices.
CO 3: Understand the Elastic properties of materials.
CO 4: Recognize the resonance concept and its practical applications.
CO 5: Understand measurement technology and use of new instruments.
1. Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional Engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in Multi-disciplinary environments.
12. Lifelong learning: Recognise the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
The department has very good infrastructure consisting of two spacious laboratories, HOD’s chambers, staff rooms, departmental library and store room.
The Department of Physics has very good infrastructure with spacious laboratory, library and research center recognized by VTU (approved in the year 2016). Since then the research center has grown to provide various sample preparation and data characterization facility to the faculty members, research scholars and the students.
Our R & D center has LCR meter facility with accuracy and versatility which makes this precision instruments the ideal choice for many different tasks and applications including passive component design, dielectric material testing and resonant frequency characterization. The Precision Impedance Analyzer is therefore ideal for many demanding tasks. It provides
Precise high frequency impedance measurements
Engineers need to evaluate component characteristics at high frequencies with very high levels of accuracy. Hence the Department of Physics extends this facility to our college students and faculty members at free of cost and reasonable rates for outsiders.
Research Guide and Research Scholar details
|Sl. No||Name of the Guide||Specialization||Name of the Research Scholar||Status|
|1||Dr. Divakara S||Material Science||Manju V V||Colloquium completed|
|2||Dr. N Sandhya Rani||Material Science||—||—|
|3||Dr. Dileep C S||Single Crystal||—||—|
Papers Published in National / International Journals
Get in touch with us. We are always happy to help you out
The Department of Physics, VVCE, Mysuru is organizing a virtual conference on Recent Advances in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology (RANN)-2021 sponsored by KSTA from 11-13th NOVEMBER-2021. Conference Brochure: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rXpsKEtmZo7TI66bfCx7Ci9vr0KWENuS/view?usp=sharing Registration and abstract submission link: https://forms.gle/S9CNcLw2rDjSPkbg9