The department of Chemistry started in the year 1997 and engaged in teaching applied chemistry to the first year students of all branches in engineering. The department has highly qualified, dedicated and experienced faculties, presently headed by Dr. Anitha Sudhir. The department aims to impart high quality education, inspiring students to compete globally and to develop scientific outlook with analytical mind. The faculty members attend FDP, Workshops and Seminars to upgrade their knowledge. Department has R&D center recognized by VTU, Belagavi. The faculties involve both in teaching as well as research and publish research papers in various national and international journals. At present, four faculties are guiding the students for Ph.D degree and have applied for the project.
To be a knowledge sharing center, enabling fresh minds to acquire fundamental insights into chemical science which contribute intellectually vibrant individuals for the welfare of the society.
The department of chemistry established primarily as a part of the institute shall strive:
Upon successful completion of this course, it is expected that students will be able to:
CO1: Interpret the principles of chemistry related to engineering and technology.
CO2: Apply the knowledge of chemistry in solving engineering problems related to electrochemistry, corrosion, fuel cells and environmental contexts.
CO3: Analyze the appropriate chemical techniques suitable for engineering applications to reach the substantiated conclusions.
CO4: Apply the techniques of quantitative chemical analysis for engineering problems through experimental skills.
1. Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional Engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in Multi-disciplinary environments.
12. Lifelong learning: Recognise the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of technological change.
The department has well equipped laboratory, HOD chamber, staff rooms, preparation room, instrumentation room and R&D center recognized by VTU, Belagavi.
Get in touch with us. We are always happy to help you out